On 26th June, ACP YPN celebrated the 1st African Caribbean Pacific (ACP) Youth Day to commemorate the anniversary of the ACP-EU Cotonou Partnership Agreement (CPA), and the birth of Article 26 (CPA) on ‘youth affairs’ signed in Cotonou, Benin on 23rd June 2000.
ACP YPN proclaimed the 23rd June as the ACP Youth Day to highlight, celebrate and promote the role of young people of ACP origin in contributing actively to a more diverse, gender-equal, environmentally-friendly, sustainable world. During this celebration, ACP YPN honoured those who have supported ACP YPN’s activities – as a youth-led platform aiming at providing a permanent space for young people to play an active role in decision-making processes (SDG16.7) – and those who inspire and support young people of ACP origin in accomplishing their projects, in line with the ambitions of Article 26 CPA.
For the first edition of ACP Youth Day, ACP YPN presented 7 awardees with the Certificate for Youth Empowerment:
- Isolina Boto, Manager of the Technical Centre for Agriculture and Rural Cooperation (CTA) Brussels office, for her dedication to the EU-ACP partnership and for actively promoting and supporting the expertise of ACP young experts, women and civil society in the field of agriculture.
- Guy Stinglhamber, Delegate General of the Europe-Africa-Caribbean-Pacific Liaison Committee (COLEACP), for his role pioneering inclusive partnerships with ACP YPN, capacity building support and finance to ACP YPN’s missions.
- Brenda King MBE, Member of the European Economic & Social Committee (EESC) and Founder and Director of African-Caribbean Diversity (AC Diversity), for her role mentoring ACP YPN leadership, and supporting ACP YPN’s work on youth and trade at the EESC.
- Marie- Chantal Uwitonze, Founder and President of the African Diaspora Network-Europe (ADNE),being a role model in the diaspora-development nexus through her work promoting the role of diaspora in international dialogues.
- Irene Hvass, Policy officer at the European External Action Service (EEAS), for her actions and support on youth issues, particularly related to the 4th EU-Africa Youth Summit & the AU-EU Youth Plug-In Initiative.
- Rok Kozelj, Administrator in the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly (JPA) unit of the European Parliament (EP), for his commitment to integrating youth in the JPA and supporting ACP YPN to launch and co-organise the JPA Youth Forums.
- Celine Fabrequette, for her contribution in developing and expanding the activities of ACP YPN, in particular for her role as organiser of the ACP YPN’s first delegation to the European Youth Event & ACP YPN’s co-organisation of the 4th EU-Africa Youth Summit.
ACP Youth Day shall continue to be held annually on 23rd June. To see more photos from the event, have a look at our Facebook page here. And, for advice on how to celebrate ACP Youth day where you are, get in touch with us!
Want to know more about ACP YPN’s mission and goals?
Want to know more, or have a question? Write to us at: email@example.com